Listen to this post
Patrick Jones, Senior Director, Global Stakeholder Engagement, ICANN
At-Large Capacity Building Session: Current issues in Cybersecurity
This session was aimed to enhance the knowledge of the participants about Cybersecurity.
- Welcome and Aim of Meeting – Joanna Kulesza, ALAC Member from EURALO and Co-Chair of At-Large Capacity Building Working Group
- Presentation on Cybersecurity – Patrick Jones, Senior Director, Global Stakeholder Engagement, ICANN
- Discussion – Joanna Kulesza/All
- Next Steps – Joanna Kulesza
Some new threats in the security arena.
Patrick present some examples.
SSAC document about IOT, DATA and DNS.
What is DNS abuse?
DNS abuses or attacks vs Maluse
Recent Domain Registration Hijacking
1) Strengthen security of the Domain Name System and the DNS root server system
3) Evolve the unique identifier systems in coordination and collaboration with relevant parties to continue to serve the needs of the global Internet user base
Groups working on those issues
Role of ICANN during a Cyberattack
Coordination with other actors
ICANN is doing in various places and opportunities capacity building (including webinars) at different levels of complexity (technically).
Takeaway: the DNS Really Matters
◉ The DNS is no longer just a technical function of the network run by system administrators
◉ The DNS is now a critical infrastructure used in every day communications (e-mail, web browsing, mobile applications) and is a gateway to all your internal systems
◉ It is critical that policy makers and organization decision makers pay attention to their DNS infrastructure
If your DNS is compromised, all of your systems and networks are at serious risk
SSAC is working (starting) on that issue
Reported by Sébastien Bachollet
EBOOK Version of Slideshow